The Butternut Valley enjoyed an economic boom after the Civil War for there was a rash of building. In 1868, Zion got an update. The center high pulpit was removed and a chancel added with an organ room on one side and a vestry room on the other. A chapel was added below. Pascal Franchot donated the stain glass window in the chancel. The two side balconies were removed, leaving only the rear balcony. The clear glass windows were replaced with the tinted glass. The entire cost of the renovations was $10,000. ($183,300 today).